Although the flank steak has great flavor from the marinade, this sandwich is all about gourmet fixings. Pungent blue cheese contrasts perfectly with the meat, and peppery arugula, sweet onions, and juicy tomatoes make fantastic toppers.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Stand: 10 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 servings
2 large sweet onions
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 red bell peppers
6 (2- to 3-oz.) ciabatta or deli rolls, split*
5 ounces soft ripened blue cheese
1 1/2 cups loosely packed arugula
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
Herb-Marinated Flank Steak
1/2 small sweet onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 3/4 pounds flank steak
1 lemon, halved
1. Place first 8 ingredients in a 2-gal. zip-top plastic bag, and squeeze bag to combine. Add steak; seal bag, and chill 30 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove steak from marinade, discarding marinade.
2. Preheat grill to 400° to 450° (high) heat. Grill steak, covered with grill lid, 9 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill; squeeze juice from lemon over steak. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
Herb-Marinated Chicken Breasts: Substitute 1 3/4 lb. skinned and boned chicken breasts for flank steak. Proceed with recipe as directed, grilling chicken 7 minutes on each side or until done. Prep: 15 min., Chill: 30 min., Grill: 14 min.
1. Preheat grill to 400° to 450° (high) heat. Cut onion into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Brush with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cut bell peppers into 1-inch-wide strips. Place pepper strips in a large bowl, and drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; toss to coat.
2. Grill onion and bell pepper strips, covered with grill lid, over 400° to 450° (high) heat 7 to 10 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and tender.
3. Brush cut sides of rolls with remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil, and grill, cut sides down, without grill lid, over 400° to 450° (high) heat 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned and toasted.
4. Spread blue cheese on cut sides of roll bottoms; top with arugula, bell pepper strips, steak, and onion. Spread mayonnaise on cut sides of roll tops. Place roll tops, mayonnaise sides down, on top of onion, pressing lightly.
*French hamburger buns may be substituted. We tested with Publix French Hamburger Buns.
Note: We tested with Saga Classic Soft-Ripened Blue-Veined Cheese.